Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Fun at the Veterinarian

Cupcake (nee Corona) went to the vet today.
It wasn't pretty....

Saturday afternoon I noticed one of Cupcake's ears was flopping over. Normally her ears are straight up so this was a surprise.  On the top of her pointy ears was a big soft bump. Did she get bitten by a bug? Stung by a bee? I put some Neosporin on it and figured I'd wait and see.

Sunday
Still swollen. Doesn't seem to bother her.

Monday
Still there. Call the vet. She's not in any pain. Make appointment for Tuesday afternoon.

Tuesday
Take the trembling little Chihuahua to the vet. She starts shaking as soon as she realizes Gracie's isn't coming with us. Cupcake never goes for a walk without Gracie. She tried to get back into the house. I tug her along and put her in the car.

We arrive at vet and she's starting to run in circles. I pick her up before she trips me.

To truly understand how upset Cupcake is you have to know her history. For the first 9 years of her life Cupcake lived in a hoarding situation where she had no medical care, was repeated bred, and was rarely handled. There was no love and affection in this little dog's life before rescue. She came into my house full of fear. After two years she's found her place on our couch and in our hearts. However, that doesn't mean she trusts anyone else.

Cupcake is muzzled because she will bite anyone who tries to touch her. (except me, of course) The vet wants to drain the ear bubble so I hold her body and the assistant holds her legs. Just as the vet moves to drain the ear, Cupcake freaks and starts fighting. POP! The blister on her ear erupts and BloOd goes everywhere. It flew all over me and the table.

We calm her down and get the ear wrapped. As I hold her I say, "I think I smell something."

The vet finishes wrapping the ear. I release Cupcake and she tries to leap off the table. I pull her back and she takes a dump all over me and the table. Then she scrambles her little legs around on the slippery mess to make sure her little gift is spread everywhere. Thank you, Cupcake!

I pay the vet, make an appointment to come in for a recheck next Wednesday, and head home to shower. (Cupcake got a bath in the vet's sink.)

Has your dog ever had one of those fun days at the Veterinarian?

Happy Hump Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment