Now for the other pain of Dog Rescue; FUNDRAISING!
Rescuing dogs is more expensive than anyone, but the rescue team, will ever know. Dogs come into rescue with heartworm, parvo, infections, and too many other problems to list. (Newbies please don't get scared! Not all dogs come in with issues. Most are perfectly healthy, wonderful pups) When dogs come in with health issues the $$$ can add up quickly!
That dog that came in thin as sticks with cigarette burns on his back needs a full blood work up to be sure he's healthy and the burn marks are going to heal. (he is, they did). The one that seems to be limping when he came off transport needs x-rays (and more surgery to heal his back leg). A litter of pups where three out of five end up with Parvo need to be treated by the vet for at least a week (yes, they made it and are now in good homes!). This list goes on and on....
Most times adoption fees don't cover it all. Veterinary bills can add up super fast so a Rescue is constantly looking for more fundraising ideas. Here's a few we've used in the past;
- Cans. Cans can be put in local stores with pictures of your cutest pups to ask for donations. This requires some organization as someone has to check the cans on a weekly/monthly basis.
- Paws for the Cause. Purchase paper/cardboard paw print cutouts and get a local store or restaurant to sell them for a small fee. As people buy the paw they put their name on it and it's posted on the wall of the business. This makes the business look community minded while earning money for the dogs.
- Bowling days or Restaurant Dinners. Get together with a local bowling alley and offer games of bowling where the rescue gets a cut of the profits. Check with a restaurant in your area to host a Rescue night. When anyone mentions the rescue, the restaurant donates part of the profits. This is usually not a very big fundraiser but is a great way for volunteers to get together with friends and family to support the rescue.
- Gift auctions & Bingo nights. Lots of work to organize this as gifts have to be secured from generous donors to make up the gift/gift basket prizes. Check out local fire departments and schools as places to have your venue.
- Craft shows. Another top earner, but takes a good organizer. Find a venue, sell spaces to crafters and vendors, sell some food and drinks.