Monday, April 23, 2012

Losing a Best Friend

Heart of my heart. I lost my dear Halston.
I had been sleeping on the couch in the family room with her because she got up several times a night and it was closer to the door. I brought her bed and blanket out and I was there to help her out when she had to go outside to pee. 
The last week was the worst.
Halston was 16 and failing. She was refusing food, drinking limited amounts of water and her back legs were giving out almost constantly. She had one weekend where she couldn't walk at all and the vet gave her a cortisone shot which got her right on her feet and we took her home filled with hope. As the week went on she just got worse again.
We made the heartbreaking decision to help her pass. We made the appointment for Saturday morning. I told her the vet would take away the pain.
She was up often that last night and around 4 a.m. she started barking at me. I offered water, food, brushed her, but she kept barking at me. Since she likes laying out on the deck I carried her out and laid her by the door. Leaving the door open I went back in and sat on the couch watching her. She looked around at the yard she ruled for 16 years and as the night gradually turned to day she watched the birds come to the feeder. After a while I noticed she was looking off to one side and realized she was watching the sun come up.
I looked away and moments later I heard a thunk and turned to see she had fallen over on her side.
I carried her back inside and she died in my arms.
I think she went as she wanted to go. At home.  In her own bed.
God Bless Halston. The best dog ever, a forever puppy in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment