Monday, February 27, 2012

Sometimes fostering isn't that easy. Although the rescue group I'm with will give me food, collars, leashes, bones, toys for my fosters, I spend my own money. Sometimes I do signs and stuff for events and consider the cost a donation. Some dogs pee on my stuff. Some dogs chew my new shoes. Once I got bitten. And sometimes I wonder if I want to keep doing this. I'm tired, money is tight, I work a full time job on top of this and other problems are constantly popping up (I call that life), but still I take in one more dog. Then I think back to when I started fostering.

So far I've fostered about 25-30 dogs in my home. Some are still nestled in my heart and others came and went so quickly I have to think to remember. Others I've grown to know through the other fosters. They were not in my home but I met them on adoption days, in transport, helping out on pick up days.
Thinking about this makes me feel better. I can imagine 30 dogs in my living room. Thirty dogs in my car at one time - ok, impossible but it gives you an idea of just how many 30 dogs is. Its a lot of dogs. I couldn't put 30 dogs on a leash and walk them, take 30 dogs to the vet at one time or try to get 30 dishes of dog food down in my kitchen.
This visualization makes me realize just how many lives I saved by opening my home up to foster just one more. Fostering does make a difference. Even if you foster one at a time. My 30 dogs may not seem like a lot to some people, but to each one of those 30 dogs I'm sure it meant the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment