Friday, September 24, 2010

Sweet Sally...


This is Sally. She came up from a high kill shelter in North Carolina. When the transport truck arrived she was huddled in the very back of her cage and wouldn't come out. She literally had to be dragged from the truck. She cried and shook uncontrollably.
Sally was first taken to the home of one of our volunteers where there were about 10 of the other dogs that were rescued. She was bathed (some of these dogs come up a real mess) and put in a crate with a soft bed. She slept.
When I came to get her she was put in my arms and her little paws wrapped around me like she was holding on for dear life. The whole ride home she trembled.
She met Halston (golden retriever) and Gizzmo (cranky old cat) and Elvis (African Grey Parrot who thinks he's the boss) and began to settle in. We gave her treats and lots of love and slowly she began to come out of her shell. She loved hugs and cuddles and always wanted to be by my side.
The first night I put her in the crate out in the family room and she ate the plastic bottom out of the cage. When I came home I found all these little black pieces around her cage and couldn't figure out where they came from until I pulled her blankets out to wash. Sally didn't like the crate.
My favorite part about fostering is watching how the dogs transform. Scared, shaking little creatures turn into wonderful members of the family with their own personalities. Sally had a great personality. She always wanted to be right next to me and listened well. She was truly a dog who wanted to please.
When we got a great application on Sally my heart broke a little. The family looked great and I knew from our phone interview they would be prefect for Sally.
It was time to say goodbye to my little girl.
When I handed her over, Sally looked at me as if to say, "Please don't give me away!" and she left a little chip in my heart. Some dogs stay with you. They nuzzled their way into your life and under your heart and you never forget them.
I've had emails and pictures from the family that adopted her and she seems to be ruling the house. That helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment