Monday, September 27, 2010

Freida and her 7 Homes


By the time Freida came to my house she had been through seven homes. As a puppy she was adopted by a 90 year old woman. Really? A 90 year old woman adopts a puppy? Who in their right mind allowed a woman to adopt a dog who would definately out live her? Insanity for both the adopter and adoptee.
But who am I to judge? I'm just one of the peeps who is there down the line.
Next Freida went to a nephew. Kudos to the man who didn't want a dog but gave it his best shot. I don't know why he gave her up.
So to the shelter she went. A healthy two year old Basset Hound who, down in the south where she came from, had a very slim chance of getting out alive.
But some nice person at the shelter saw the potential in this sweet young lady and fostered her as she searched for someone to take her.
Step up Castle of Dreams Animal Rescue who were three states away. Freida was put on a transport and sent up to New Jersey where she went to another foster home for a week and then to her adoptive family. Within two weeks the adoptive family returned her because she snapped at their 2 year old. Why you'd let a two year old next to a dog that just come into your home, was scared and uncertain in her new surroundings and had never been around kids before...yes the adoptees knew her history, is beyond me. But they deemed her too dangerous and returned her.
So Freida came to my house.
As with all dogs who arrive here we showed her food, water and potty places and left her alone. At first she sat on the other side of the room and stared at me, never coming any closer than necessary.
Day three I realized something I didn't know about Bassets. Those long droopy ears get into their food and need to be wiped off. Freida and I were about to get a lot closer. Out came the puppy wipes as I sauntered over to the little Basset. She backed away.
I inched closer whispering soft words of comfort.
Freida ducked and ran. . . right into the screen door.
Now Halston, my 14 year old golden who is still not out of puppyhood, raced over and opened the door. Yes, she can open the sliding screen door with her nose, a trick that comes in handy when I don't feel like getting up to let her out.
Both of them charged outside and I was left holding the wipe.
Gradually, Freida blossomed, like all dogs do, and came running for hugs and kisses. Her favorite thing was cuddling, she couldn't get enough love!
When the email came with a great application I had mixed feelings. This would be home number 8 for Freida. Did any dog deserve 8 homes? To be passed around like her feelings didn't matter?
I did my work, called references, vets, checked out their house and spoke at length to the husband and wife.
And darn it, if I couldn't find one thing wrong with them.
When they came for Freida they brought their dog, a beagle rescued from a laboratory, and the two dogs got along great.
When we walked them out to the car and Freida realized they were leading her away she put on those famous Basset brakes and refused to go. The husband scooped her up and placed her in the car. He closed the door and Freida pushed herself up to the window and looked at me. Guilt stabbed at me. Would she ever understand I wasn't giving her away as much as saving her?
That night I told my husband that if Freida is returned again we're keeping her. I wasn't going to let her get passed around again.
So far the family reports she's been great. The two dogs are bonding and Freida is right at home now.
God bless Freida, it's time for her real life to begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment