Saturday, December 29, 2018

How to Change a Dog's Name

What's in a name? A rose by any other name is still as sweet.
However...
When you adopt a dog sometimes they come with the name. Either the shelter gave it to them or the rescue or foster mom. And those people have usually named a lot of dogs! Sooner or later the names they give might be too playful, goofy or just down right ridicules.

I had a chihuahua who came into my house as a foster. Somewhere along the line she picked up the name Corona, like the beer. This sweet little girl who came in from a hoarding situation and scared to death of everyone and everything was named after a beer.

Eh.

Somehow it just didn't fit, but I let it go by. After all I was just her foster mom and she would pass onto a permanent home in a few weeks. If they wanted, they could change it.

That's not what happened. This scared little chihuahua wasn't going anywhere. She was a barking, high strung mess at adoption days. She was 9 years old when she was rescued and there weren't many people who would step up for a little dog with a big mouth and who had no idea about affection or cuddling. She set up on one corner of the couch in a little pile of blankets and there she stayed.

Permanently.

When I sat my husband down and give him the news; It's a Chihuahua! He nodded and said, "I figured."

Now it was time to change her name. This much sweetness couldn't be labeled like a beer. Although she was a challenged to everyone from barking at company to running from them, I wanted everyone to know she really was sweet. I named her Cupcake.

To change her name I started calling her Corona-Cupcake. After a week or two of that when I knew she was answering to it I switched it up. Cupcake-Corona. It took only a day for her to answer to it. (Chihuahuas are smart!) Then after another week or so I just called her Cupcake and she answered to it without hesitation.

Success! Name changed.

Remember some dogs pick this up quicker to be patient. Keep using the names together until they get it. Then just drop the old name and go with the new!

Cupcake crossed the rainbow bridge last year but she stays forever in my heart.



No comments:

Post a Comment