Sunday, May 12, 2024

Heartworm Positive Diagnosis

 My little foster failure was diagnosed with Heartworm. This is Florida where heartworm seems to be everywhere. 

Preventatives People!!!

Yes, Maggie was on preventatives from the time I got her. The Vet said she might have just been bitten before she came to the shelter. So the first test she got when entering the shelter was negative but now as the worm was growing it comes back positive. The fact that she did get her monthly preventatives probably stopped baby worms from developing. Heartworms take about 6 months to sexually mature and begin producing more worms. 

Now to kill that mama worm inside her heart. There were two choices. My vet does not recommend slow kill because as you're waiting for the worm to die, it's still causing damage. Heartworms can live unchecked for years. 

Maggie is barely 2 years old so I didn't want any more damage to her young heart. I opted for the fast kill heartworm treatment. This consists first of a month of Doxycycline to ensure there's not another infection going on. After that the dog gets 3 injections. First injection, then four weeks later 2 more injections 24 hours apart. 

During this time the dog has to be kept calm. No running around, no zoomies, no crazy rough housing with the other dogs in the house. 

Maggie had her first injection a week and a half ago. The vet did the injection in the side of the lower back. Maggie was a champ and stood just fine for it. Afterwards she just kind of wandered around the vet's office while I paid the bill. It was when I got her in the car that the crazies started. 

I always use a seat belt for my dog in the back seat where she can lay down if she wants.  It clips around the headrest then onto her harness. She got in the car without a problem but once we were on the road (20 mins from home) she started pacing on the back seat, whining, sitting down, getting up, pacing. Around and around. I tried soothing music, talking to her, and telling her it was ok. She was panting and appeared to almost be starting to panic. 

Then she tried to jump into the front seat. The seatbelt doesn't reach that far and she was just stuck dangling over the seat in her harness. Of course, this was where there was no place to pull over so I'm driving with one hand and trying to unhook her harness with the other. Luckily there was a traffic light and I was able to get the harness off and she could sit in the front. 

It didn't help. She was still stressing, moving, whining. Finally she jumped into the back seat again. We made it home safe. 

At home she was still panting, pacing and every time she'd lay down she'd be up again. I emailed my vet and he got right back to me. He said to give her time because she's probably stressed and in some pain of the shot. This injection went deep into the muscle so there could be some swelling involved. 

The next day she was much better. She's on Prednisone and I think that helps with inflammation. Still not herself and seemed sore on one side. (I offered her ice packs and lots of treats) The day after that she seemed more like herself. 

This is the hard part now... keeping her from running and playing. She's a crazy zoomie pup and runs laps around the yard every day. Now I take her out on a leash so she can't run. If she starts pulling I have to slow her down. I feel bad she doesn't understand. 

Sorry little Maggie, no fun for a few weeks. 

The meds cause the worm to die and break up. These floating worm pieces can be absorbed by the body. BUT! in the first few weeks they pose a danger for causing blood clots in the heart, lungs and brain. You have to keep that heart rate down and the dog calm. From what I've read, it's 4 to 6 weeks that you have to keep the pup calm. 

It's going to be a long. hot summer.... 

Her next series of 2 injections is on the 31st. I'm going to take someone with me to go to the vet so I can sit with her in the back seat and someone else can drive. I'll let you know how it goes.

More information can be found at The American Heartworm Society  




No comments:

Post a Comment